The RETREAT SERIES by SSDBUILD is a collection of NET-ZERO ENERGY SUSTAINABLE HOMES. Although they are pre-designed, they are easily modified to meet each individual client's needs. Below are the fundamental design strategies that go into each RETREAT SERIES home.
1) RETREAT SERIES homes are designed smaller and smarter. The best thing you can do to save energy is by not using it in the first place. The smaller the home, the smaller amount of energy needed to heat/ cool and light the home.
2) RETREAT SERIES homes are designed for passive heating and cooling. Southern exposure is great for solar heating in the winter although the windows need to be shaded on the outside. Earth tubes and natural chimney ducts bring fresh cool air into the home with out turning the AC on.
3) RETREAT SERIES homes are designed with Structural Insulated Panels for the the walls and roof. These panels have the highest R-Value per inch of any wall or roof system available. See http://www.thermocoremo.com/
Using these panels will minimize heat loss in the winter and heat gain in the summer.
4) All RETREAT SERIES homes are designed with LED lighting and Day-lighting strategies to reduced electrical consumption. Quality low-U factor windows are used in all RETREAT SERIES homes.
5) SSDBUILD will recommend appliances which use the least amount of electricity in their class. Remember, the less energy you consume, the better.
6) Every RETREAT SERIES home will have the option to add a SOLAR PANEL package to the project. We will have a solar expert examine your site to see if solar panels would work on you site. You are still using energy, so in order to make your home NET-ZERO energy, you need to produce as much as you use.